Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Rand

Default Anchoring Machne tools to floor

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 06:02:27 GMT, Gunner wrote:

blink blink...most lathes, such as virtually ALL Hardinges..have
absolutely NO provision for bolting to the floor. In fact..the only
machines Ive ever seen bolted to the floor were bar feeders attached
to lathes (and special provisions had to be made for most of those
lathes to be bolted down..IE welding tabs on the bases and I dont
think Ive ever seen a mill of any type bolted down.

Shears, power brakes and stuff that have a hell of a lot of gross
physical movement..yes indeed. But..damed little else

And Im a professional machine tool mechanic. Its how I make my biscuts
and gravy.

Gunner

Different courses for different horses... Not only are all our lathes and
mills at work bolted to the floor, but all except the little ones have
integral foundations cast into the floor.

If it's got bolt holes, bolt it down and grout it in. If it's got feet (like a
Hardinge cabinet) then give it somewhere flat and clean to stand on them.

(this advice is worth exactly what you paid for it ;-)
Mark Rand
RTFM