Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.energy.homepower,alt.solar.thermal
Steve Spence

Default Solar water heating system value

Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Steve Spence" wrote in message

"Steve Spence" wrote in message
Many Americans don't wash clothes with hot water.

hmm... really? nope, not quite right. It's been a long time since
detergent required hot water. Saves a lot of energy as well.

In the UK we don't have cold water detergent. Well not that I know of.
If it is so good and equal to hot water detergent, then the energy
crisis is partly solved. Just disconnect all the washing machine
heaters. Washing machines a few years back were the appliances that were
near causing the California grid collapse. They put out on TV for
people not to use them as much and have only full loads.

If it is so good, I want some and will meddle with the washing machine
to get it to work cold only. Or just set it to low temperature wash.

I'm told my other UK folks that you do have cold water detergent. I
don't know personally, I've never been to the UK. Our washing machine
(Sears front loader) has a (wash/rinse) cold/cold, warm/cold, hot/hot
settings. It doesn't have a onboard heater. We always use the cold/cold
unless I'm washing my greasy clothes, and the whites are never gray, and
the colors stay bright.

--
Steve Spence
Dir., Green Trust, http://www.green-trust.org