Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Vaillant VUW 242E - not working - screeching noise!

Hi

Bought my place two years ago and I'm not sure how old the Vaillant
242E/284E is. At any rate, one year ago had a problem with the valve
that let's out excess pressure. That cost over £100 in London in
workman charges alone - and he didn't even replace the valve, it just
worked again after fiddling with it.

Now, this weekend, the boiler has just stopped working - it turns on
for a few seconds, fires up, then makes an awful screeching noise,
turns off while it's making the screeching noise, and then a few
minutes lates, stops screeching, fires up for a few seconds, and the
cycle repeats. I've tried it a few times now, same thing

I'm thinking now of getting a Worcester-Bosch 30CDi which is apparently
a little more than I need, but for £50 extra, I'd rather have it. My
reasoning for a new boiler a

1) I'm not a handy man, so can't fix these things myself. With a new
installation I can get it insured.

2) The newer boilers have this 'instant hot' thing which I like the
sound of.

3) When the man came round to fix the current boiler last time, I got
the feeling the parts weren't that easy to come by.

4) A plumber from my current builders has offered to install it for
free.

Any suggestions/recommendations? Obviously looking to move very quickly
on this, as it's rather cold!

Marcos