Larry Jaques

Default OT, Sorta-LED flashlights...

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 19:08:29 GMT, "AL A." pixelated:

Hi all,
I know this is not strictly on topic, but this crew seems to know something
about everythig, so here goes:

I am looking to build a "task" lamp (think dentist-type light) that uses
high output white LEDs for a friend who often does
work for extended periods of time in very remote places. I was looking at
the NTE electronics "lightwave" flashlights
http://www.nteinc.com/lightwave/ and they claim that they have circuitry
that makes it possible to run one of the 10
led lights for 24 days, continuously, on 3 D cells.

Right, at a whopping 2 candlepower output! g

I looked into the LEDs last year and found that many of the
manufacturers who build for the spelunking market put in several
styles of output, with all LEDs on, a few LED on, or one
led on. Some even limited the power to the one LED left on.

Browse the manufacturer sites and get the newest info.
Google for "white LED" and you'll find sources, plans, and
all sorts of other interesting stuff, like LED illumination
for macro shots on digital cameras. I found plans for an
LED ring lamp for my Nikon Coolpix 995 during that search.

Iguana: The other green meat!