Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John

Default Gauge block care and useage

Anthony wrote:

Jim Stewart wrote in
:

I bought a set of inexpensive gauge blocks,
mostly to be able to check the accuracy of
my motley collection of calipers and mikes.

I spent about 2 hours cleaning the rust
preventive goop from them and then I went
over them with a rag wet with LPS. If I
keep them in the living area of my house,
is that sufficient protection to keep them
from rusting?

I noticed that in order to get them to wring
together, the surfaces had to be close to
perfectly clean. I assume they have to be
re-oiled after use.

Does anyone know what the accepted procedure
is for testing mikes and calipers? Some
sort of progression of blocks that serves
as a worst-case test?

In addition to what the others have said......
remember that your gauge blocks will pick up body heat by
holding/wringing, etc. Let the blocks sit undisturbed and unhandled for a
minimum of 15 minutes before you record any readings.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

I have a master set of gauge blocks that only get held with cotton
gloves. The acid oils from your hands will eventually cause stains on
the blocks.

At least uf you see fingerprints on the blocks you can find out who done
it. G

John