Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default O Ring materials selection?

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 04:30:49 GMT, "Carl Ijames"
wrote:

Most applications will be for air, in an oily environment, though a
few will be for hydraulic fluids. Is there some material best suited
for general use?

And will they degrade in a short period of time, in the back of my
service truck in hot weather?

What material should I be using?

I will likely purchase from ebay one of those 400 piece selections
for $10 or so, unless someone has better suggestions.

I think Viton is hard to beat as the best general purpose material to
stock. More expensive than Buna or nitrile but much more chemically
resistant when you need that. I don't think I've ever run into an
application that called for Buna or nitrile that Viton wouldn't work in,
and I've had several applications that called for Viton either for
chemical resistance or high temperatures or low outgassing in a vacuum
system. Probably safe for a year or three in a truck toolbox, at least.
It will eventually start to check and then crack when you flex it so it
will be pretty obvious when it's time to toss them. The Parker catalog
is a great resource on materials and especially on oring groove design.
www.mcmaster.com has a great selection, as well as www.sisweb.com (as
someone else mentioned - I've bought several items from them over the
years and think a lot of them, but I am friends with the owners :-)).

Thanks Carl..exactly the sort of answer I was looking for.

Respects

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3