Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default Anchoring Machne tools to floor

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 23:11:15 -0500, David Utidjian
wrote:

Most of my customers shops have the tailstocks at the wall..with the
lathe at a 45' angle for this reason. Gives a bit more floor space
than a true 90

Gunner

Thanks for the pointers.

A few comments:

As I understand it OSHA requires that machine tools be anchored to the
floor. This shop is in a small state college in New Jersey. I am
required to comply

blink blink...most lathes, such as virtually ALL Hardinges..have
absolutely NO provision for bolting to the floor. In fact..the only
machines Ive ever seen bolted to the floor were bar feeders attached
to lathes (and special provisions had to be made for most of those
lathes to be bolted down..IE welding tabs on the bases and I dont
think Ive ever seen a mill of any type bolted down.

Shears, power brakes and stuff that have a hell of a lot of gross
physical movement..yes indeed. But..damed little else

And Im a professional machine tool mechanic. Its how I make my biscuts
and gravy.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3