Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis

Default Home Electrical Question

According to Jeff Wisnia :
wrote:

Can I use a 16AWG x 3 for a 30 foot run to a 220v 20amp breaker?

The tech data states Total connected load: 1500 W, AC 208/220-240 V /
60 Hz.

Your quote from the manual didn't say anything about breakers or fuses,
so I believe it was making a correct statement engineering wise,
PROVIDING there was a breaker or fuse of appropriate size at the start
of the run to protect that No. 16 wire from overload. And, that device
would have to be rated at less than 15 amps, which is not a very
standard item.

Methinks that manual may contain a literal translation of text
originally intended for units sold elsewhere in the world, without
regard for US codes.

I'm not sure that US codes would allow No. 16 wire to be used for a 220
volt circuit "hard wired" in a home. One of the code mavins here can
likely tell us.

Methinks the he's misquoting the manual or it's not written very well.

Since it mentions North American wire designations, the manual is targetted
for North America, and it wouldn't get UL or CSA approval if it specified
Sxxx cable for an inwall permanent installation. Sxxx cable is _not_ to
be used in permanent wiring.

The manual is spec'ing an _extension_ cord to be used between the hibachi
and a 240V outlet.

[Tho, I'd personally prefer to use SOW 14/3, 16ga is a little skimpy for
this ampacity in my personal opinion for a heating device at this ampacity,
and SO/SOW is heavier duty insulation]

For a permanent in-wall installation, he should be using 12/3 NMD-90 (solid
core). Even better: it's cheaper than Sxxx. If the wiring is going to be
exposed on wall surfaces, he has to consider conduit.

If he's been confused this way by the manual, I think he needs to read
a good book on electrical wiring, or hire an electrician - especially
if it's not a straight-forward in-wall installation.

He's going to need to double check whether the thing is four wire or three
wire. If it's only three (pure 240V circuit), he can use 12/2 NMD
(or 12/2 Sx) - the wire designation usually doesn't count the ground.
US wiring designation tend to say something like 12/2 w/g to make it
clear that the ground is _extra_. In canada, we don't need to say w/g,
because house wire always comes with ground.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est