Posted to alt.home.repair
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

Default Septic troubles, again.

Hiya,
Well in December I wrote asking about the possibility of a septic freezing
and causing a backup. We determined this wasn't the problem. I had the
tank pumped and the guy who came said everything looked fine. It backed up
after a large number of washes in the washing machine and he said we may
have just overloaded it. So here it is only March and the damn thing
backed up again. They've pumped it just now so I have a little time before
cursing it again but I wanted to research a few things. My leach field is
dry. There are no wet spots or standing water at all. I have put enzyme
in it in the past but I'm wondering if something like this:
http://www.amerisep.com/septic-free.html would work. Seems like snake
oil to me. Otherwise, what would you septic wizards recommend? I don't
know if there's a distribution box (I seem to remember the tank has three
lines heading out of it so I'm guessing there's not a D-box but I could very
well be wrong on that account). If I have one, do these things get plugged
up normally? The guy that pumped the system said the lines rarely plug up
and said the field must be bad. Of course this guy is working for a
company that would love to come in and destroy my yard and charge me $$$
doing it. So before the backhoe arrives to rip down my fence and destroy
my sprinkler systems, any and all recommendations on what to check/do are
most appreciated.
Cheers,
cc