Robin S.

Default Carbide Insert 101

"jim rozen" wrote in message

I don't understand how that's any
different than using HSS tooling.
Those rules still apply.
Rigid, more rigid, and even more rigid
than that!

I'd say HSS is significantly more lenient in regards to a lack of ideal
cutting conditions.

Generally, anything slower than *too fast* is fine with HSS. I've run a HSS
cutter such that it (3/8" square) was hanging out a good 1" from the
toolpost and flexing about 1/8" down each time the work piece hit the cutter
(interrupted cut on O1, massive feed and DOC, very low surface speed).

A carbide insert or brazed cutter would have snapped on the first hit. In
that situation, carbide would have been a slow method of material removal
because of the interrupted cut.

Of course, I'm not saying one can throw rigidity out the window with HSS,
but when you're running carbide so hard that the spindle is close to
stalling (not usually possible with HSS), rigidity becomes a big issue.

Regards,

Robin