AL A.

Default OT, Sorta-LED flashlights...

Hey, Thanks for all of the replies.
I have seen that lots of these do drive the leds at near max current, the
NTE ubits specifically state that
they actually drive them at lower current, and use more leds, to extend
thier life.

The battery life may be a bit of marketing hype, but I do know folks who
use these flashlights and they all say that
the battery life is amazing. I do not know if anyone has actually left
thiers on for 3 weeks, however.

I got a few white leds from electronics goldmine co., 10 mm clear, 4.2v
forward voltage(i think) and
rated at 40 mA max, 2 bucks each. Run at 30mA or so,it is blinding bright
when looked at head on, and they throw
a nice bright sort of soft white light. I have no good way to directly
measure it right now, but I would
put the brightness easily near a 2 AA cell small maglite.

I will fool around a bit more and let you guys know what I find.

As always, still soliciting clever ideas or other info.
Thanks again!
-AL