Posted to alt.home.repair
Kevin Ricks

Default Home Electrical Question

"Charz" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks for replying. I really don't want to fight it. I just want to
protect the appliance. I wasn't sure if using 12 gage wire was going to
let the wire or breaker fail if there was a problem. I figured the 16
gage wire would go and I would much rather replace $30 worth of wire
instead of a $2000 appliancet.

I just want to make sure the appliance is proteted.

If an appliance is to be protected then it must have its own internal fuse
or circuit breaker. If not it will rely on the house circuit breaker to
prevent a house fire only. Check the wiring diagram to see if your unit has
the additional protection.

As far as the house wiring the bigger the better. If you are in a situation
where you would have to replace $30 of wire you could also just as easily be
replacing your entire house as well. You may also find that your insurance
will not cover you. Wire - even 16 ga does not "go" without a tremendous
amount of heat/smoke and damage.
Kevin