Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour

Default Cracks in wooden kitchen cabinets

Jerzy wrote:
Where did you get the idea that an owner warranties a house he's sold?

Not the owner, but the manufacturer if there is still a warranty. Prior
to selling me the apartment he renovated the whole kitchen, and yes the
place was inspected. As I said, at that time joints weren't falling
apart and the wood was not bended (all doors shut properly). As someone
already pointed out it is the manufacturer's fault.

Manufacturer is a euphemism. They were built by a carpenter. If
you're saying that it's the builders fault, maybe yes, maybe no.
What's your opinion on the situation if the owner directed the
carpenter to build the cabinets fast and cheap? Is the carpenter still
responsible? It's not as cut and dried as you seem to think. I'm also
not sure why you would assume that the warranty is transferable, but
since I don't know where you are and what your state's laws are in that
respect I can't comment.

It's not a small job, nor expense, to replace all of the doors and
regardless of what your state's laws indicate, I doubt the original
carpenter will rollover willingly. I think you have an uphill battle
on your hands if you decide to sue, but it's your time and money.

See those big filler strips where the cabinets turn the 45 degree corner?

No, I don't know what you mean.

Spaces between cabinet doors that are just blanked off - no access.
It's a sign of fudging to make standard sized cabinets fit. As
standard manufactured cabinets come in 3" increments, there's no reason
to have a filler piece larger than 1 1/2". You have filler strips that
are substantially larger than that.

As the buyer it's up to you to verify the quality and condition of what
you are buying. You noticed the gaps when you bought the place. Have
you ever seen cabinets anywhere else with gaps in the corners before?
They're very rare as most all kitchen cabinets are built correctly,
with tried and true methods, except for DIY cabinets. As far as the
inspection, if you didn't realize what those gaps indicated, your
inspector should have. A large manufacturer will have a warranty
policy in place and indicate whether it is transferrable or not. A
small time outfit, like the guy who built your cabinets, won't have any
such policy, will have no warranty reserve fund, and as far as he's
concerned you'll be a Johhny-come-lately trying to steal his profits.

I'm not trying to bust your chops, I'm just pointing out a few things.
You asked for professional opinions, and that's what you're getting.
I'm not a cheering section - I just call them as I see them.