Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Liquorice

Default Wood burner with back boiler

On 11 Mar 2006 08:21:34 -0800, wrote:

Your back boiler takes the heat out ot your fire and you end up with
a dead fire that you have to sit over to get warm.

Bung more wood in it and open the damper...

At the same time your radiators that are taking the heat from it are
only lukewarm and never really have any serious heat output.

Any heat is better than no heat when the oil boiler breaks down or there
is a power cut. And when the wood burner is lit you won't burn as much
(expensive) oil.

It would be essential to have your wood burner standing in the room
rather than recessed in a fire place. If its in the fireplace you lose
a lot of the heat while vice versa.

Not quite sure I follow the logic. Yes the walls will take some of the
heat to start with but once warmed up they give it back. Thermal inertia
is wonderful, we have an 2' thick solid stone wall in the middle of our
house, that really does help keep the house temp even in the long term
(days rather than hours). Takes in heat during hot summer days to keep
the inside cool and stops the place cooling out too much during the
winter. The snag is that if you do let the house go cold it takes
literally days to warm back up...

--
Cheers

Dave. pam is missing e-mail