Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills \(aka Set Square\)

Default Y-plan wiring questions

Geronimo W. Christ Esq wrote:

- do I need a bypass valve ? My bathroom radiator has no TRVs
fitted, so I assumed there would always be a route between the flow
and return irrespective of the position of the three-port valve.

Nobody piped up to answer this I guess I can get away without one.

In theory, you shouldn't need it with a Y-Plan system - because there should
always be an available path for the water to take during the pump over-run
period (unlike S-Plan, where all zone valves are closed at this time). The
only proviso is that you need at least one reasonably sized (but not
massive) radiator which *cannot* be turned off - which means that it should
have 2 lockshield valves, and no TRV. There will then still be a path even
if the other rads all have TRVs, and they are all off. It sounds as if your
bathroom rad could meet this condition - but make sure that neither valve
has a handwheel on it!
--
Cheers,
Roger