Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

Default Home Electrical Question

wrote:

Can I use a 16AWG x 3 for a 30 foot run to a 220v 20amp breaker?

Details: This is what the installation manual for my wifes new habatchi
grill requires. The manual says "This appliance must be hardwired. The
mains connecting cable must be at least correspond to the type SJTO
3x16 AWG 105*C" The guys at Lowes and all the old timers say that you
can't use 16 gage wire on a 220 breaker. I say this is a new appliance
and isnt it possible that someone has designed a way that you can, why
would the book call for it?

The tech data states Total connected load: 1500 W, AC 208/220-240 V /
60 Hz.

Now I know the formula for amps is I = W / V. 1500W / 208 = 7.2 amps.
The specs for a 16x3 AWG 105*C is rated at 13 amps 250 volts.

So, why is everyone here telling me that this won't work?

Please help....I don't want to burn this grill up, my wife will kill
me..

Is the product UL-listed? If so, the listing will include
the required conductor makeup which, presumably, is what
the manual is specifying.

You're right; that cordset will easily carry the current
and it is rated at more than the maximum line voltage.

Portable cords are covered in the NEC and #16 cordset
conductors are "considered" to be protected by a 20Amp breaker.

(I don't understand what they meant by "hard-wired".
That might cloud it.)

Jim