Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank K.

Default Heat Pump Advise

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi;

I need a new ac system. I am debating installing a heat
pump. I live in
the Va -NC area. Our avg daily temp in the winter is 40f.
I have heard
that the wind chill factor of heat pumps can be
unpleasent. With a
typical 40 degree day out side temperature, can 75 degrees
be
maintained indoors with out using the back up heat-strips?
I would like
to maintain my house at 24c/75f. Should I consider a heat
pump or a
furnace with a central air conditioner.

Thanks for any help

Bret

I live in central Delaware and have a heat pump. My aux.
heat rarely comes on. This is reflected in my electric bills
below. I have a Honeywell Chronotherm III thermostat set
back three degrees at night. My house is TOTALLY ELECTRIC,
i.e. water pump, electric range and water heater. Plus, I
have a large woodworking shop.

I have a daughter with a gas hot air furnace. Her gas bill
alone for January was $260. My other daughter has an oil
fired boiler and her oil bill for January was $215.

Date Memo Amount
3/23/2006 Elect -158.75
2/21/2006 Elect -146.90
1/24/2006 Elect -151.53
12/26/2005 Elect -79.71
11/23/2005 Elect -76.75
10/24/2005 Elect -84.26
9/22/2005 Elect -100.97
8/24/2005 Elect -100.67
7/25/2005 Elect -80.01
6/22/2005 Elect -68.33
5/24/2005 Elect -109.05

New Trane XL14i system installed 4/19/2005. It replaced a
1986 Magic Chef heat pump that was probably around 8 seer.
Cost to replace was $5900. Below are my electric bills prior
to replacement.

4/22/2005 Elect -191.38
3/21/2005 Elect -220.05
2/17/2005 Elect -175.31
1/19/2005 Elect -107.42

I hope this helps you with your decision.

Frank