Posted to alt.home.repair
Kevin Ricks

Default Replacing Fuses

"Saus29" wrote in message

"Kevin Ricks" wrote in message
m...

"Lena" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just to be the devil's advocate here, let me ask, what is so horribly
wrong with fuses that you would want to pay what I'm sure would be
hundreds of dollars to upgrade?

Lena

I once bought a house that had a 60A fuse box. The sellers insurance co
insisted that the servive be upgraded to 100A breakers before we bought
it. It may be that the 60A was more of the reason than the fuses though.
Kevin

I really hope that did not happen, because as I see it now there is more
chance of a house fire.
maybe qualified ppl should give advice to insurance companies.

It did happen. There were only 4 circuits in the entire house, plus an
Edison circuit for the dishwasher / disposal that someone added in a small
subpanel. The entire rest of the kitchen, garage (including laundry) were
on one 20A circuit. (That fuse was blown when I first looked at the house).
After I moved in, and after the fuse box was replaced, the wires on that
kitchen circuit would be warm to the touch. I rewired much of the house
adding about 8 new circuits and split up several circuits. This is all work
I expected to do after taking one look at the fuse box. In my case I was
lucky because the seller paid for the service upgrade and breaker box.
~$1800 for a new breaker box, meter base and head, ground rod, etc. This was
6 or 7 years ago in Bay Area CA.
Kevin