Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Isaacs

Default Gas furnace replacement

I have an old Singer furnace, model GL1406, which I'm told is over 30 years
old (I've owned the house for 23 years). Except for two recent minor
electrical problems which cut off power to the blower motor, the unit has
been working fine. I have been told, however, that the blower bearings are
not in great shape and I should get a new furnace and it would be a lot more
efficient. Our gas bills, in NYC, have been very high lately, but is it
worth $4500 for a new Carrier 80% efficient furnace + $800 for a "by-pass
humidifier" to gain that efficiency? Prices include installation and
readapting ductwork, plumbing and electric. Which other brands should I
consider?