Andy Hall

Default can anyone help me?

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 22:04:09 +0000 (UTC), "Brian"
wrote:

Andy,

My experience was a lot different to this with British Gas. I had them
power flush an 8 rad system for £460 and yes, I did have problems (mostly
noise) caused by the flush which were all resolved by BG in the original
quote

I am pleased that you are happy, but you are paying a lot of money for
this.

Do you realise that you can hire a power flushing machine for £36 for
half a day or £42 for a full day? You can *buy* the machine for
£900.

e.g.

A new heat exchanger in the boiler.
Re-worked pipework in the airing cupboard.
A new C/H pump.
A second power flush because there was still muck in the system from a
dip in a pipe in an inaccessible part of the system.

They would have had to replace the heat exchanger and the pump as part
of the maintenance contract anyway. That is costing £140/annum
IIRC, and in most years you would be getting a service with a cost
value of no more than £50. With this over several years and the
margin on the power flush there is plenty in hand to cover these
eventualities

There were still minor problems 12 months after which were picked up on the
annual boiler service and BG returned and fixed these FOC.

Oh! and three months after the original works were completed and the bill
paid, BG sent me a cheque for over thirty pounds as a rebate because they
over quoted the original job as they had not deducted a discount because of
my maintenance contract with them.

As an extra issue to this, under the British Gas warranty of these works,
provided I allow them to inspect and replenish the inhibitors (I pay for the
inhibitors) every two years, they will re-power flush for free if needed in
the future (very likely in my ageing system).

If you were taking care of the system yourself, you would typically
part drain and add inhibitor every 2-3 years anyway.

To be honest, if the system is clean and maintained in this way, it is
very unlikely that it would need power flushing.
I used inhibitor in my system from new and maintained it religiously.
During a refurbishment a year ago (when the system was 17 years old,
there was virtually no build up of sludge (just small amounts in the
bottom of a couple of radiators) and flushing produced a little
copper swarf that was the original from when the system was installed.
Almost all the radiaotors have been retained, with a few being sized
upwards to allow lower operating temperature with a condensing boiler.

I'm pleased that your experience has been good in the sense that the
system is in good order (now) and you are pleased. However, it is
very much akin to domestic appliance insurance. You pay a lot of
money for it.

I used to have a BG annual cover policy. However, I had occasion to
use it when the thermocouple on my old boiler failed and prevented it
from firing (as it should). I called BG early in the morning
expecting that they would attend either the same day or at the latest,
the following day. I was asked whether I had anybody "at risk",
meaning small children or the elderly in the house. I didn't but
pointed out that I did have a contract. The earliest that they
could manage was five days later.

I cancelled the contract and after a lot of hassle, obtained a full
refund. They still appear to be operating with the old monopoly
attitude that they are doing one a favour to even show up. If they
were operating on a limited public budget then prioritising the
vulnerable might be reasonable. When they are operating on a
commercial basis and charging an arm and a leg for a contract, it is
not.

I replaced the thermocouple for a cost of £3 in parts from the local
plumber's merchant.

I have an open case with the ASA about BG's advertising of these
contracts, especially the "paramedics" add with the "experienced
fitter" and the dopey boy. They are creating the illusion with this
that they are providing an emergency service when they are not.
It's almost as though Alastair Campbell wrote the copy.
The advert is completely dishonest in the impression that it gives
the customer.

As I say, if you are happy with what you are getting and paying then
that's fine. However, the "peace of mind" may not be what you think
and is not coming cheaply. In a year or two you will "need" a new
boiler. When you receive BG's quote, make some comparisons with
local firms and I think you will be shocked.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl