\PrecisionMachinisT\

Default The stainless from hell

"Bruce Simpson" wrote in message

I guess this is the price you pay for picking up bits of scrap from
time to time rather than buying a known alloy off the shelf.

Next time you might bring a file with you......you could also check to see
how easily you can dent it by whacking a corner of it with a fairly sharp
edge of another heavier piece of metal (concentrates the impact.)

I don't know what alloy this is but it's non-magnetic (austenitic?)
and, based on its awful hardness, certainly doesn't seem to be 303,
304 or 316.

I usually buy "drops " ( some places call them "rems" ) from the steelyard
or from a bigger machine shop when I need small quantities... While you cant
usually get material certifications from this source, the guy running the
saw typically remembers what material each piece in the drop box was cut
from.......and often the color code was left intact.

--

SVL