Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Default Handyman Chronicles

Andy Hall wrote:

When I see your van, does the sign just say Medway Handyman, Phone
12345 and a couple of things that you do?

Its a car, dark blue Escort Estate it has the same logotype as the website
and the contact details. Only limited space.

If so, it's simply saying to me that you are there, not inviting me to
take an action.

True, as would an advert in the paper though.

I would then need to stop and write the number down. Am I going to
do that when it's raining and I'm in a rush to get the shopping done?
Equally, I suppose you could argue that someone just sauntering around
looking for ideas would not be in such a rush.

Again true, but the web address is especially easy to remember, given the
area connection - medway & handyman.

Thinking along those lines, garden centres are places where people
go to for ideas and a wander around, not typically for purposeful
purchasing. Not in context though.

Hmmm. I think garden centres would be in context.

Another idea.

I know that being a handyman means all things to all men. However, I
wonder if there are some specific jobs that you could package in some
way.

That's certainly worth a thought. I've tried to make my site easy to find.

The way of working was interesting. SNIP
Economically it works for them because they manage 4-5 jobs a day
depending on travel etc.

Exactly my intention.

There were two things that struck me as clever about this approach.
It matched a specific task and an area together and came up easily
in Google. Secondly, it was efficient in terms of there not being too
much time overhead in comparison with paid work time.

Yes, both worth thinking about.

Perhaps there are some specific things that you will end up doing
frequently that will lend themselves to a simple productising like
this.

I'll keep that in mind. If for example plumbing in washing machines becomes
a regular job, I could either make my site more findable or have a separate
one that links to it.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman