Posted to alt.home.repair
Reed

Default Swamp Cooler to Refrigeration A/C

Yup, I've got forced air. Trouble is, the Swamp cooler isn't located near
the furnace. The furnace supply feeds the
floors of the house while pulling from a couple large vents in the walls.
My swamp cooler is on the ground not near one
of these return grilles. So it looks like I'm SOL unless I want to do some
major stuff.

In a standard AC system, only the compressor unit is outside the house,
connected by 2 small pipes to the refrig coil unit, which is mounted
inside the furnace's plenum, usually above the heat exchanger in an
updraft furnace. It also uses the furnace's existing blower to circulate
the refrig air.

No large ducts go outside, so it may be possible to replace the swamper
with the compressor unit, depending on distance.

Other solutions could be as other poster mentioned.

--reed