Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
Goedjn

Default Painting concrete crawlspace floor without etching first?

On 10 Mar 2006 13:16:45 -0800, "Harry Muscle"
wrote:

I would like to paint the concrete floor in my crawlspace to keep the
dust down, however, the idea of etching the floor is really turning me
off the whole thing. The crawlspace has no drain and not much
ventilation, so using acids down there along with tons of water for
rinsing isn't exactly going to work well. So I'm wondering if there's
any point in painting the floor if I decided not to etch? Obviously,
I'd scrub the floor with cleaners and a wire brush to remove any loose
pieces/grease/oil etc. (not that there's much grease or oil in the
crawlspace). Or am I guaranteed 100% to have a bad paint job if I
don't etch? What exactly does the etching accomplish?

If it's a crawlspace, and not a traffic area, then just dumping
masonry paint or tar all over it should do to keep the dust down.
You'll have a "bad" paint job, but why do you care?