Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones

Default Gauge block care and useage

Jim Stewart wrote:

I bought a set of inexpensive gauge blocks,
mostly to be able to check the accuracy of
my motley collection of calipers and mikes.

I spent about 2 hours cleaning the rust
preventive goop from them and then I went
over them with a rag wet with LPS. If I
keep them in the living area of my house,
is that sufficient protection to keep them
from rusting?

I noticed that in order to get them to wring
together, the surfaces had to be close to
perfectly clean. I assume they have to be
re-oiled after use.

Does anyone know what the accepted procedure
is for testing mikes and calipers? Some
sort of progression of blocks that serves
as a worst-case test?

Increments that represent uneven turns around the spindle so that you
can check for errors at places other than the same increments each time.
I think Fundamentals of Dimensional Metrology covers it (worth a library
trip)

Blocks should be cleaned prior to use and lightly oiled when put away.
There are spray cans of gauge block cleaner and preservative available.

Cheers
Trevor Jones