Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.models.rc.air
Pete C.

Default A CAD Program

Rex B wrote:

Peter Grey wrote:
"Bugs" wrote in message
oups.com...
Turbocad is CRAP.

Why do you say that?

Can't speak for Peter, but...
After buying two versions of TurboCAD(admittedly from the bargain bin)
and confronting the daunting learning curve, I have given up on both.
I'm looking at Alibre & A9CAD from the suggestions here.

There is a bit of a learning curve to TurboCAD, however that seems to be
the case with any CAD package that is not optimized for a specific use.

In the case of TurboCAD the comparison is to Floorplan3D (bundled with
TurboCAD BTW). For doing 3D house layouts Floorplan3D is very fast and
easy vs. doing the same in TurboCAD. TurboCAD provides far more
capabilities at the cost of more complexity.

I've been using TurboCAD intermittently since ~1997 or so when I started
out needing a 2D CAD package to view and tweak some architectural
prints. I found the 2D version of TurboCAD as a free download from IMSI
(just register) and found it fairly easy to get a handle on and use for
my needs.

A few months after getting the 2D version I got the email offer for
TurboCAD Pro 3D (v6 I think) for $99 which was rather a no-brainer. A
few upgrades later and I'm currently using v9 pro at far less than the
"regular" price.

I'm certainly still no CAD wiz, but I'm getting more comfortable with
each project I work on. I have not really spent any time just trying to
learn TurboCAD either. I'm also not running it on a particularly high
end machine, just a P3/500 with 128MB and W2K and it runs just fine, in
fact much better than Photoshop Elements 2 does.

Just my thoughts and experiences...

Pete C.