Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Default single pole dimmer to 3 way wiring

After reading your posts and the replies, it seems you may be confused as to
what a three way switch is. Having three wires attached to the switch
doesn't make it a three way. Most switches have multiple methods of
connecting wires to each terminal. The switch you describe has two black
wires connected to one terminal. One brings power to that switch and the
other jumpers that power to another location. If you remove those wires from
the switch, you need to wirenut them together. One of the wires from your
dimmer would also connect to them. The second wire from your dimmer would
connect to the wire left on your switch, and of course ground wires should
be connected

wrote in message
oups.com...
I want to install a single pole dimmer. When I opened the switch on the
wall, I discovered 3 way wiring. Apparently, this switch was intended
to work with another in the room.

I din't want that. I want the dimmer for this single light only. When I
disconnected 2 of the black wires (they were joined together with a
murette) the other light went off.

How do I connect the single pole to the 3 way wiring?