Posted to sci.electronics.repair
BW

Default PC reboots: Hardware problem possibilities

Wayne wrote:
On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 01:19:23 -0500, BW
wrote:

Hello all,

I have an IBM NetVista 2257 (2001 model) Pentium III 1GHz based machine.
It started behaving rather strangely in the last three weeks as it
rebooted all of a sudden(a few times in a week) without a warning. It
runs WinXP Pro, fully patched.

A few days ago, when it rebooted a few times before it even finished
starting Windows I got annoyed and tried to find the cause. Here is my take:

1. Power supply: Works, because I was able to run memtest for 97hrs
straight! (wasn't home to stop it)

2. Hard disk: It does not seem to be the cause. While booting from a
Knoppix Live CD it still reboots before it finishes the boot process.

3. Memory: memtest gives me error. But then it gives me the exact same
error with both or either one of the two memory modules installed. I
checked with memory(2modules) from a working machine, and it gave me
exact same error. Still reboots with the memory module from the working
machine. So _it seems_ the RAM is not at fault here.

4. BIOS battery is good too.

The inside of the computer is surprisingly clean and very less likely
that dust has anything to do with it (blocking fans or DIMM connectors).

The only other reason that comes to my mind is that several of the
electrolytic capacitors on the motherboard are either bulging or
electrolyte has leaked out a bit.

Is there anything else I should be looking for? Any other reason that
the computer is rebooting? Did I miss anything while debugging the
possible cause for the problem?

Thanks in advance for the help,
/kds

99% sure its bad electros. The NetVistas of that era were plagued with
the problem. My test PC is, you guessed it, an IBM NetVista 1GHz
Celeron that I got for free because of..... bad caps. Caps cost me
about $20 + shipping from Digi-Key. Page here on how to remove caps,
etc. http://badcaps.com/
Wayne

That website looks like good help. Now comes the difficult part: is
there is a way to get a full circuit diagram of the motherboard on the
machine? Or do I just go and start to note down the specs of each
capacitor on the board?

thanks Wayne,
/kds