Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robin S.

Default Gauge block care and useage

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
.. .

I noticed that in order to get them to wring
together, the surfaces had to be close to
perfectly clean. I assume they have to be
re-oiled after use.

I usually wipe the working surfaces on a clean sheet of paper. I've found
the wring the best using this simple cleaning process. Laying the paper on a
clean surface plate does an excellent job.

While I've heard paper is abrasive, I'd be surprised if you could actually
do any damage to the blocks (just in case anyone wants to object). The gauge
blocks at work are subject to an environment rife with abrasive dust, as
well as what some would call abusive use, and they still wring.

Does anyone know what the accepted procedure
is for testing mikes and calipers? Some
sort of progression of blocks that serves
as a worst-case test?

Those gauges that Peter mentioned are pretty neat. I have to ask though, are
you doing work that will hinge on the last .0001" or so of your mic's
accuracy? Seems excessive unless the mic you're checking is very old or well
used.

Regards,

Robin