Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ecnerwal

Default Mill reccomendations for a robotics team?

In article .com,
" wrote:

Update -

On craigslist, we found a Bridgeport mill with a DRO and KURT vise for
4k. Its in very good condition, and the ways are not worn. We've gotten
arrangements for transportation (its only a 10 minute drive.. so it
should be nice and cheap.) But the seller insists we pay him in cash..
is that a bit weird? or is that normal for machine tools.. (I'm not
even sure HOW to get 4k in cash without setting off alarm bells).

Walk into the bank and withdraw it. To avoid alarm bells, have it in
your account to start with, and don't hand the teller any funny notes or
wear a mask...

Not a big deal, and perfectly normal when making transactions with
people you don't really know that well - especially if you might be
negotiating a bit based on condition, etc. If you think the seller is
going to club you over the head and take your money without giving you a
mill, well, shop elsewhere. Otherwise, bring cash if that is what the
seller wants.

Certainly SOP for private transaction used cars, for instance. Likewise
used lathes. Makes sense for used mills, too.

Cash - handy stuff, serves a purpose. Given the broad pervasion of fake
cashiers checks as can be seen if you look up "Nigerian scam", it's
hardly surprising that a person who does not know you from a hole in the
ground would be happier with cash money. They _might_ take a cashiers
check from a local bank - you could ask...