Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.energy.homepower,alt.solar.thermal
daestrom

Default Solar water heating system value

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message .com
from contains these words:

Lots of people round the country expose hosepipes to subzero temps day
in day out. Does this make them burst? No, because theyre not full of
water.

Even those that are don't burst 'cos they're sufficiently elastic.

If by 'hosepipes' you mean the 'outside faucet' used to water the
garden/etc..., around here we use 'frost-free' faucets. The valve stem is
quite long (about 12 inches) and the actual valve/seat located inside the
house. As long as the hose is disconnected so the foot long section from
actual valve to the faucet can drain, these don't have a problem even in 0F
winter nights like we have here in NY. Because none of the flooded portion
upstream of the actual valve seat is exposed to freezing conditions.

daestrom