Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.energy.homepower,alt.solar.thermal
daestrom

Default Solar water heating system value

wrote in message
oups.com...
Doctor Drivel wrote:
wrote in message

simpler to have the vent hole above the top of the tank. Add a sleeve
to prevent splash possibility.

It has to be "in" the tank. The pump will squirt water everywhere.

What I'm suggesting is a 1/4" hole in the panel output pipe just above
the top of tank, say 1/2" above. There will be close to no pressure
there, and no possibility of any squirting.

Okay, and if there is no check-valve in the pump or its suction, I can see
that working. Maybe even a baffle just to be sure of little splash.
Shut-off head of the pump will still have to be high enough to initially
fill the collector, but once the return has flooded, less pressure should be
needed to maintain flow.

Now, just need a large enough tank to accomodate the drain-water, and you're
all set.

daestrom