Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

Default Bathroom Shower

On 10 Mar 2006 08:47:24 -0800 someone who may be "eto"
wrote this:-

I now notice that the cable gets warm (!); standard teenage daughter
shower (30 minutes...) gets it warm enough to bother me.
Full inspection of the cable, terminations etc shows no faults.

As a rough guide, unless it is too hot to touch it is not warm
enough to cause a problem. Many electric cables in houses are
grossly over-rated for their duty, because people have selected the
cable from a chart rather then doing the calculations.

Note that I'm not objecting to them being over-rated, just
commenting on it. Many years ago I demonstrated that it is possible
to connect a 3kW immersion heater via 1.0mm cable. The calcs showed
that the cable, in the particular installation, was just capable of
meeting all the requirements. It did get hot, but not excessively.
Had I selected the cable I would have thought that 1.5mm was the
very minimum size, with a preference for 2.5mm.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh