Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.energy.homepower,alt.solar.thermal
David Hansen

Default Solar water heating system value

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 17:02:26 -0000 someone who may be "Tim Downie"
wrote this:-

Does seem nice and simple but £2000 for the DIY kit buys a lot of gas heated
hot water. Certainly our house would be very suitable for solar water
heating (rear of house faces due south, v. little shade).

If the price of gas were to remain the same the simple payback
period would be around 20-25 years. However, unlike the price of
sunshine, the price of gas is unlikely to remain the same.

There are also other reasons for installing such things, for example
reducing greenhouse gas emissions and reducing the maintenance
on/extending the life of the boiler (which can usually be turned off
for several months a year).

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh