Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default single pole dimmer to 3 way wiring

On 10 Mar 2006 05:24:15 -0800, "
wrote:

Thanks for the speedy responses. I think I'm making some progress
here.

The wiring is in place for a three way switch. Only a single pole
switch was installed however.
I have 3 wires coming into the switch box. Each has a black and a white
and a ground.

There are 2 lights (A) and (B) in the room. Only one switch currently
operates light (A) and the other switch operates light (B). I want to
keep it this way. One switch each.

Light (B) though has the wiring for a 3 way. But, only a single pole
switch. This is where I want to put the dimmer. I tried just connecting
the 2 leads (Both black) from the dimmer to the 2 blacks that operate
the single pole switch. No good.

The single pole switch had a black wire connected to the sigle black
and a black connected to the 2 joined black wires.

I'm thinking only one of the black wires is hot. Because when I
uncouple the 2 that are together, light (A) goes off.

I really hope this isn't as confusing as I am confused.

Well, I might or might not understand, but it's more important that
you understand. To do this one should generally make a diagram big
enough to explain everything. Then you should think about how
rearranging things will get you what you want.

If you are trying to keep either the way it is or the way it should
be, or both, in your head, that is too difficultl. And won't be any
help later. Once the switch is fixed and the diagram conforms to the
facts, save the diagram in your "house" file.