Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB

Default Argon-filled or Low E storm windows?

RichK wrote:
"Mike Dobony" wrote in message

I'v not seen an explantion of why some windows are filled with noble, or
just esoteric sounding gases.

Rich

Simple chemistry and thermal transfer coefficients. Argon has better
insulating properties than air does.

Do you happen to have the values handy, or are you just repeating sales
pitch?

Since gas "carries heat" from one surface to another, rather than conducts
like metal, the more important factor is keeping gas from moving. Air or
argon between two glass suraces has the same ability to move.

Seem little is gained by using fancy gas in place of air, but it sounds much
better in the advert.

Rich

I agree. Its what makes gas 'gas'. That it moves around so freely. I
can assume Argon has lower specific heat than average air. Which means
it holds less heat. Which means it transfers less heat as it moves. Of
course there is no breeze between the panes of the glass except that
created by convection!? Which would be tied to the heat the gas can
hold. So it probably performs better. And is probably easier to
maintin than a vacuum.

--
Thank you,