Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default single pole dimmer to 3 way wiring

wrote:
I want to install a single pole dimmer. When I opened the switch on the
wall, I discovered 3 way wiring. Apparently, this switch was intended
to work with another in the room.

I din't want that. I want the dimmer for this single light only. When
I disconnected 2 of the black wires (they were joined together with a
murette) the other light went off.

How do I connect the single pole to the 3 way wiring?

The short answer is you don't, you use a three way dimmer to replace a
three way switch. To do anything else is going to take some research to
determine how it is currently wired. There are more than one way to wire
three way switches and it will not be apparent from looking at just one of
the devices. I would also suggest that often three way switches are
required by codes and your wiring changes could be a code violation.

It is not clear what you mean by ?3 way wiring." I can only guess that
you mean a three way swtich.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit