Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Default single pole dimmer to 3 way wiring

If two wires were connected under a wirenut, leave them together. If you
have a three way switch, it'll have three wires connected to it and possibly
a ground wire. By connecting together, two of those three wires, it will
cause the light to come on: those are the two that you want to connect to
the single pole dimmer. Insulate the third wire. Note: if there is another
three way switch in the circuit, flipping it will turn off power to the
light

wrote in message
oups.com...
I want to install a single pole dimmer. When I opened the switch on the
wall, I discovered 3 way wiring. Apparently, this switch was intended
to work with another in the room.

I din't want that. I want the dimmer for this single light only. When I
disconnected 2 of the black wires (they were joined together with a
murette) the other light went off.

How do I connect the single pole to the 3 way wiring?