Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

Default Orange Peel

wrote in message
oups.com...
Mike Marlow wrote:

It will never lay
down flat because of those droplets at the base of the film. It will
flow
some which is what gives the orange peel effect, but it will always
present
a bridging of the droplets, thus the orange peel.

OK, now that makes sense. With that explanation, I won't forget. I'm
not new to spraying, but I am new to problems solving with solvent
based spraying. Until posting my questions here, all I have been able
to get is a shrug of the shoulders and "sometimes that just happens,
man."

Glad it helped. I'm just such a puddle of useless information and
irrelevant facts (ahem... the word "facts" is a loosely defined term in this
context) that it feels good sometimes when I stumble upon something that
actually works for someone.

But as I am now appreciating more and more though, the key to good oil
solvent spraying is the setup, not the delivery. Today's latex paints
are so forgiving and work so well it is a snap to use them. It seems
on the solvent base materials there are a lot more variables to really
turn out good work.

That's right. I try to make it a point to encourage guys to really get to
know their gun. The best first step is to really read the manufacturer's
instructions on the adjustments with the gun and then to practice on some
scrap. Experiment with each of the adjustments - which is somewhat time
consuming since each adjustment interacts with the others. But... it's the
best way to learn about achieving a proper pattern, a proper flow rate, and
a proper application rate.

I don't know how effective it really is for other guys when they read it,
but the best I've ever been able to come up with is something that was
handed down to me and it's the concept of trying to spread a thin layer of
plastic wrap with your spray technique. It's amazing how much easier good
technique becomes with a well set up gun. Most guys need to really learn
the knack of watching the material going on as they're spraying. It just
doesn't seem to come naturally. I know it didn't for me. But man... what a
difference it makes when you see the coverage happening and you almost
instinctively know how to adjust your rate of application based on what
you're seeing. It's a break-through moment. That's when you can get to the
point that you can shoot it and ship it. No sanding, no buffing, etc. I
still end up doing more wet sanding and buffing than I wish I had to, but
it's generally because of dust nibs, spiders and/or mosquitoes (who seem
ever so attracted to clear coat), or some other issue not really related to
technique.

The coolest part about these threads is that there's always something to
learn. You shoot latex in your sleep and I'd be a disaster with latex. I
just never shoot it. Don't have the guns for it. Swingman shoots shellac
like he's some sort of East Indian Beetle and I'd probably screw that up in
a heartbeat as well. Never shot the stuff. Don't even know if my guns will
shoot it well. But - I picked up an interesting tid-bit from a post by
Swingman earlier today, about shooting shellac. May never use the
information, but it was cool to discover it.

--

-Mike-