Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

Default bits are slipping in my brand new Craftsman drill press

Just fyi, Craftsman power tools are about an order of magnitude lower
quality than their hand tools--which themselves hover around middling, mebbe
occasionally good

Altho the quality of their relatively new ratcheting box wrenches is
atrocious--the goddamm hole is not even concentric/symmetric on the wrench
end, and the box is not offset.
Visavis similar style Crescents (reversible) from Sam's, which appear almost
like Armstrongs et al. And the Crescents were a lot cheaper, iirc.
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"pogo" wrote in message
Dats cuz yer brand new chinese/craftsman drill press comes w/ a brand new
crappy chuck.

Yeah - I can't stand that spring loaded thingee in it.

I know, cuz I got one. Like Grant sez, you must tighten from all three
holes.

I wasn't doing that so it will be my first thing to try tomorrow. Newbies
+
power tools = please stand back! :-)

They make sets of drills w/ hex shanks, which fit into electric
screwdrivers, etc. Really handy, actually, and will partially solve this
problem--at a price. HD has them.

You could also grind flats on your drills. The better you grind them,
the
more concentric your drill will remain. Tough to do accurately by hand,
simple on a surface grinder w/ a spin fixture.

That spin fixture sounds like a neat trick. Never heard of it before but I
think I get the idea. I'll Google it.

Thanks again for the tips!
JCD