Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
J. Clarke

Default bits are slipping in my brand new Craftsman drill press

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:

Dats cuz yer brand new chinese/craftsman drill press comes w/ a brand new
crappy chuck.
I know, cuz I got one. Like Grant sez, you must tighten from all three
holes.

They make sets of drills w/ hex shanks, which fit into electric
screwdrivers, etc. Really handy, actually, and will partially solve this
problem--at a price. HD has them.

Then the bit turns in the hex shank g.

You could also grind flats on your drills. The better you grind them, the
more concentric your drill will remain. Tough to do accurately by hand,
simple on a surface grinder w/ a spin fixture.

Best bet is probably just to replace the chuck.

--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"pogo" wrote in message
The bits are slipping in my brand new Craftsman drill press. I love it!
Except for the bits that are slipping. I am tightening the heck out of
the chuck but still the bits slip some. Any hints ? ( All of my bits are
a few years old, and I am a newbie to metal working ... ) This is usually
happening when drilling in aluminum extrusions that tend to grab the bit.

Thanks !

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate