Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones

Default Mill reccomendations for a robotics team?

" wrote:

Update -

On craigslist, we found a Bridgeport mill with a DRO and KURT vise for
4k. Its in very good condition, and the ways are not worn. We've gotten
arrangements for transportation (its only a 10 minute drive.. so it
should be nice and cheap.) But the seller insists we pay him in cash..
is that a bit weird? or is that normal for machine tools.. (I'm not
even sure HOW to get 4k in cash without setting off alarm bells).
We've seen the mill in storage, and we know it exists, so its not a
fraud or something. but still kinda strange.

Awaiting your opinion,

Tatsu Hashimoto

You are actually worried about what will happen if you grab $4000 out
of a bank account? Wow. Personally, I would not be worried about it. If
it has to do with the finance dept., then you are on your own...
accountants tend towards easy to follow money trails.

As to HOW, I would suggest a withdrawal slip at your bank. Have ID
available.

It sounds to me like the seller is quite certain that he will not be
scammed in the deal either. Cash pretty much always spends, whereas
checks and money orders sometimes have "issues". I cannot comment on the
price, though it seems within the realms of the reasonable. If you are
at all worried about being ripped off, agree to the cash payment, but
after the mill is on your transport, and before the mill leaves the
former owners yard. Find an arrangement that both of you are comfortable
with. Or find a different deal.

I have done deals for cash that were larger than that. And I have
driven out of total strangers yards leaving nothing for ID except the
info that was on my personal cheque. Niether I nor the guys I dealt with
was unhappy with the arrangment in any case. I figure that my
involvement in the sellers life ends when I make one of those deals, and
really, I don't care why cash was specified, if the deal looks clean.
It's not quite in the same league as being asked to bring cash into the
alley way to deal on a nice used Rolex, now, is it?

Cheers
Trevor Jones