Posted to rec.woodworking
Andrew Barss

Default Homemade Lathe

George George@least wrote:

: "Michael" wrote in message
: k...
: Hi,
:
: I need to turn a piece of wood thats 4m (12') long by 50cm (20") wide
: (diameter). Would a piece of wood this size be suitable for turning on a
: lathe, if I was to make one especially for this purpose?
:
: The item I'll be turning will be a (model) submarine hull.
:
: Does anyone have any better suggestions?
:

: A lathe turns things between two points. You can take the ubiquitous old
: Delta 12" shop lathe, use the outboard thread and faceplate, mount the
: tailstock on a table screwed to the floor the appropriate distance away, and
: countershaft the beast to desired speed. As long as you have the two points
: fixed in line, you're good.

A cylinder of the size he's considering turning is going to end up being
close to 30 cubic feet. Suppose it was something light,
like poplar, which is around 40 lbs/cf. That's 1200 pounds of wood.
Now imagine it before it gets turned, with it not being
perfectly balanced. You would need one gigantic lathe for that --

You'd destroy the Delta 12", and everything within about fifteen feet as it
walks across the floor and comes apart.

Stave construction seems a much better bet to me.

-- Andy Barss