Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Default Electric drop insulation

I can't be sure what type of conductor you have there, but some types like
THHN have an outer layer that does tend to crack when it gets cold, but
certainly nothing to worry about

"Bill Gill" wrote in message
In 2001 I had my service upgraded to 200 amp service. That included a
complete new breaker box, meter can and weather head. This afternoon I
noticed that the outer coating on the wires going into the weather head is
stripping off. This is between the weather head and the place where the
feed is spliced to the electrical companies drop. The distance is less
than 2 feet.

There is still a pretty good layer of insulation on the wires, what is
peeling is only the top layer. It is a few mils thick.

Is this liable to be a problem? Obviously I don't want to have to have an
electrician rewire it if I don't have to, but at the same time I don't
want to have a safety problem

Thanks

Bill Gill