Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Default Furnace Near End of Lifespan After 14 Years?

wrote:
Our 14 year old Byrant Plus 90 furnace has been diagnosed with a
failing blower motor. The cost to have a new motor installed is $800.
The tech suggested that rather than replacing the motor, we consider
purchasing a new furnace, because it has been his experience that the
replacement blower motors have some sort of conflict with the circuit
boards in the furnace. He added that 12 to 15 years of life was typical
for this type of furnace, so a replacement furnace at this time was not
unusual.

If we were to replace the furnace, is there another brand that might
have a longer average lifespan than 12 to 15 years? Or is 12 to 15
years of use typical for all forced air, high efficiency gas furnaces,
regardless of maker?

Hi,
Conflict with control board? That sounds like BS. And what could go
wrong with a motor? Usuallt bearing/bushing which is not hard to
replace. If I were you, I'd take the motor to repair shop and let them
rebuild it. If there i no other obvious problem, it'll last another few
years. My last two furnaces last little over 20 years. Current
one(Carrier) is ~11 years old and I had two problems. Control logic
board which I managed to fix, and burned out HSI which I replaced.