Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.models.rc.air
Jim Stewart

Default A CAD Program

Tim Wescott wrote:
I'd like to get a CAD program. This will be mostly for drawing up model
airplane plans, but will be used for some other mechanical design. With
models, I want to put scanned-in bitmaps of scale 3-views and design the
model over them. Better yet, a program that would be able to do a good
job of turning a scan into a line drawing would be ever so cool.

I have a copy of "TurboCAD Designer 2D/3D" Version 8, which I picked up
ages ago. It's sitting in my wastebasket because it does nothing but
crash my machine.

Anyone have any CAD program suggestions? Is Turbo CAD now reliable? A
2D program would be sufficient, but I wouldn't say no to a 3D program if
the price were right.

Alibre Design Xpress 3D.

A real 3D solid modeling package. Works great. Free.

http://www.alibre.com/xpress/

Discussion forums:

http://www.alibre.com/xpress/forum/i...daf403287b8c3a