Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Immersion Heater substitute Help!

tonytrans wrote:

Hey guys - I have a water heating system run off the CH, but it is
simply a microbore coil inserted into the immersion heater hole in the
cylinder that has hot water pumped around it to heat the water in the
cylinder like a heat exchanger. However, it has become corroded
internally and flow is very low and not performing. The best solution
is to replace the cylinder and do it "properly" or just stick an
immersion heater in the hole. Does anyone know where I can get a
replacement microbore heat exchanger like the original for a quick
solution? Combined brains of DIY banter should be able to solve this!!
Regards, Tony kendall

Why not just replace the microbore thing, and add inhibitor to your
system so it doesnt go the same way. You can get microbore from any BM
or shed, and just bend it to shape like the old one. The more length of
pipe you get in there, the more heat exchange can occur. If you can put
2 or 4 lengths in parallel that will work much better, as you'll get
far more flow. You can get 4 way microbore manifolds for very little,
theyre just a metal plug with 4 holes in.

NT