Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

Default water meters

In article ,
Roger wrote:
[insults SNIPped]

I seriously doubt your basic claim - that the Thatcher government had
plans to close twice as many pits as Scagill claimed prior to Scagill
promoting the idea - if only because the outcome would likely have been
a negative number of pits left working.

I cannot remember the exact numbers - and don't have the references to hand -
but I can assure you that Scargill was leaked the wrong info (ie told that it
was bad but not as bad as it was really planned to be) - and deliberately
lightened that message because he didn't think anyone would believe it to be
*that* bad.

What you report is the government line at the time. It was black propaganda
through and through. It has all been reported since - though probably not in
the Daily Mail - but no-one is that much interested anymore.

But at least you now know why some people don't like Thatcher - even if you
don't want to believe it.