striebs striebs is offline
Junior Member

I have an ICD (implantable cardiac defibrillator) in my chest and was told that Mig welding was OK . My machine is about 150amps , I don't use it that often but have been back for check ups a number of times and the ICD is functioning fine (and it has not had any reason to discharge thankfully ) .

If I remember correctly the cardiologist said that stick welders or Tigs generated too much interference .

He recounted a story to me whereby a patient came in for a checkup a few months after fitment and they discovered the batteries were flat . At first they thought it was a faulty device but it transpired that the chap was working as a car mechanic . Apparently leaning over a running alternator will flatten the battery of a defibrillator or pace maker very quickly .

I'm fortunate to live in United Kingdom and got this device fitted under our state funded National Health Service which aims to gives universal access to health care based on clinical need .

The politicians like to pick on it as a soft target but it has come through for me and many of my loved ones and we don't have too much else to be proud of these days .

PS As John says , you don't want one of these devices to be disabled for when it is needed as you may not get a second chance . If the electromagnetic radiation is severe enough (we are not talking about nuclear explosions) the device I have will be deactivated for a few seconds . Since I don't weld for a living statistically the risk for me is very small .

Last edited by striebs : March 9th 06 at 11:24 PM