Posted to rec.woodworking
Dennis Johnson

Default Orange Peel

For the past 10 years or so, I have been using a Wagner Finecoat HVLP
sprayer with very good success. Most of the approx. 15-20 gallons I have
sprayed has been Hydrocote (water based) lacquer and polyurethane.

I recently decided to move up and bought the Turbinaire 1235 because I
will be doing a lot more finishing now that I am retired and it will
handle high viscosities. Problem is, I don't know how to use it. Have
tried varying the parameters and nothing I do gets away from orange
peel.

Some facts that might help. The diameter of the Wagner tip is 0.09in
(per my vernier caliper) which is a smidge under 2.5mm. The viscosity of
the Hydrocote poly that I'm spraying is 25sec. Room temperature where
I'm spraying is 70 F moderate low humidity (shop is in heated basement).

I have tried using the 1.0 and 1.5 mm tips ( per the viscosity charts)
on my Turbinaire and varying air and flow with no success.

As I'm writing this, it seems that the answer is that I should buy a
2.5mm tip for my Turbinaire and I just might be successful. But this
seems to go against what I've read about correcting orange peel and
doesn't make sense to me in the viscosity charts.

I would really appreciate critique from any of you experienced sprayers.